Monday, February 28, 2011

Vietnam War




Welcome Home Dad!! Most of you are probably thinking...."Where did he go?"  Feb 28, 1968 he came home from the Vietnam War.  So, I am taking a break from my usual posting to honor my dad.  My dad is a Marine, and a proud one at that!!  I am so glad he made it home.  That was such a tough time to be returning from the war....so many vets were not welcomed home because so many people were protesting the war (picture the protest on Forrest Gump....the war in "Viet f*ing Nam").  I am so happy he is here today, and I welcome him home with open arms!  He has so many amazing stories from the war, that I really need to record him telling some of them so I can write them down, because one day those stories will be gone, and my grandkids won't get to hear their great-grandfather tell them.  The second picture in the series of 4 was the welcome home sign that his family hung when he returned.  My dad is the oldest child, so you can imagine how relieved everyone was for him to make it home.  I am guessing the picture says June because that was when it was developed....who knows?  And, the third picture was from his R & R and the last picture was a trip to see the moving wall when I was about 6?  That is my best guess, since Johnny wasn't there, and he was born when I was 7.  I would say Dad still lives the war most days of his life.  He certainly thinks about his "brothers" all the time, and still keeps in touch with a small few, but most importantly he remembers those they lost.  He strives to buy things made in the USA, and buys me a new flag to display at my house every spring.  So many people came back disabled partially or fully, but Dad made it back in one piece.  The hardest part may be the flashbacks and how it relates to his sleep.  He DOES NOT sleep.  He might get 4 or 5 hours at night, but usually can't go to sleep until really early in the morning, drives Mom crazy!  A really loud noise can take him right back.  I have seen him "hit the deck" more than once in response to a REALLY loud sound.  I can't even imagine some of the horror he saw over there.  It makes me so proud to be able to call him Daddy!!  My senior year of high school we took a trip to Washington, D.C. for a week, and it was amazing to see the Wall with him.  I saw the full gamete of emotions that day.  Truly so moving.  Thanks for all that you have and continue to do for me Dad.  I love you!!! I am so glad he his here to watch this baby boy grow.  Martin loves his Papa John and can't wait to see him soon.  Welcome Home!  We love you!!

2 comments:

Patsy said...

Didn't know your Dad fought in the Vietnam war. I wrote to my sister's brother-in-law over there the whole time he was there. All wars are terrible but that one was devastating. You posted a truly moving tribute to your Dad. He will be honored and humbled at the same time.

Nicole said...

What a sweet post Becca! I'm sure Martin will love hearing all his war stories when he gets older.