Thursday, April 7, 2011

Like Peas and Carrots

Ok, so more like Beans and Carrots, but that tag line isn't near as catchy, is it?  Tom Hanks eat your heart out!  We are cooking our first round of baby food.  And, by we I mean Bryan drove me to the grocery store, so that counts as his contribution.  The green beans are in the steamer as we speak.  I am already amazed at how easy homemade baby food is.  Visit this website to check out additional info.  And, carrots are next on the to do list.  If I had two steamer pots I could do them at the same time.  You can also bake carrots, but I prefer to steam as it saves lots of your nutrients and minerals in the cooking process.  The website I use says that steaming allows the beta-carotene to be more bio-available.  But, to avoid sounding like an over zealous snob, I will just say saves nutrients and minerals :) When steaming veggies be sure to save the water you steam with, as it collects the minerals lost in cooking, but you can use this water to thin your puree (thus adding back the minerals).  Yay!!!  But, don't do that with the carrot water until 8 months (when nitrates are no longer a worry).  Lots to think about.  But, I swear, this is easy, and so cost efficient, not to mention you know exactly what is going in that sweet baby's tummy....GREEN BEANS!  You can even use frozen vegetables if fresh aren't in season.  This helps with cost efficiency, and makes some foods easier (green beans for instance, since frozen are easier to make smooth--plus someone has already snapped them, and removed the strings).  Just be sure to check your ingredients.  The only ingredient should be whatever you are cooking.  Keep your eyes peeled for added salt!!!

Green Beans
I steamed my green beans for about 15 minutes, until they were tender. Then, place the green beans in the blender and puree (you can also use a stick blender, or food processor).  I added about 1/2 cup of the water I steamed in back to the green beans while pureeing.  This helps with the consistency.  After pureeing, pour into an ice cube tray.  Cover ice cube tray with cling wrap, wait til it cools a little and then freeze.  Each ice cube= 1 ounce (30 mL).  Which, conveniently is about one small jar of baby food.  After frozen, pop ice cubes out of tray and place in a labeled freezer bag.  Then remove servings as needed!  How easy is that?  And it took all of 20 minutes start to finish!!  Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.  About a pound of green beans filled an ice cube tray and I had about two extra servings, this was perfect since I plan on feeding green beans tonight and tomorrow.  When introducing new food, you should always space them out 4 days, to check for allergies. 





Carrots
I steamed the carrots just like my green beans, and pureed in the same fashion.  Remember to use water that you didn't cook in to thin because of the nitrates associated with carrots.  Pour carrots into ice cube tray, cover, and freeze.  Helpful hint: if you need to thin something, you can add water, formula or breast milk.....if you need to thicken it you can use rice cereal. 

I can now officially make a mean baby puree!!  I will post pictures later this week of Martin trying his new yummy purees.  He loves playing with a spoon, so I can't wait to see how solids go.  I love silly baby faces, and I feel certain we are going to get some tonight.  If you are interested in making your own baby purees, please view the website I linked to above, it gives you every direction in detail....fool proof.  So easy, a cave man could do it! 

And, for my readers who couldn't care less about making their own baby puree (Mom and Kay)....here is Martin's 6 Month Update!



We went to the doctor this morning for our 6 month check up.  His weight was 15 lbs 3 ounces and his height was 26.75".  He is still on the same percentile he has been, and doctor said everything looks great.  Great muscle tone, great job sitting up, great job bearing weight in his legs.  Yay Martin!  Such a big boy.  And, he got his 6 month shots.  Just two this time, and one oral.  And, he did GREAT!!  He barely whimpered.  I usually nurse him right after to help soothe...and he didn't even really want to nurse.  That in itself is a miracle.  He always wants to nurse.  He was happy, and didn't mind a quick trip to Target to pick up a few things.  Now he is in his swing talking to the animals on Baby Einstein.  Such a big--happy--boy.  We go back at 9 months, but no shots then, Thank Goodness!  On the agenda for the upcoming weeks:  1. Trying to transition out of swaddling 2. Dropping the pacifier at night 3. Tasting lots of yummy food. 

Mamie and Papa John and Uncle Zach are coming to visit Martin this weekend, and Martin can't wait!!!  They will be here several days, and I cannot wait to see them!  Hurry up Saturday.

No comments: