Saturday, March 26, 2011

Busy B's (B is for Benton)

This has been a busy week around The Benton House!  We have done something big just about everyday!  And, boy am I tired.  This was Bryan's off week, and I had a few projects I wanted to tackle.  The flower beds in our front yard needed some TLC.  I had lots of weeds that needed to be pulled, needed to top the crepe myrtle, and needed to plant some flowers, but first we wanted to work on the gutters.  They didn't think their gutter placement through all the way, since two of the gutters drain right into the same corner, and create a pool of rain water that washes all of my mulch onto the porch.  Can you tell how bitter I am about this?  If you can't, take my word for it....I am!  So, we got some of those horrid big black tubes for the drain down spouts, and Bryan saved the day by burying it along the back edge, and running a pop up drain into the yard.  And, today as it is pouring outside they are getting tested, and it is working GREAT!  I am so proud of his work.  I should have taken a picture or two of him working, but I was busy too.  I planted lots of flowers in the garden, and can't wait for them all to bloom.  I got some great planters for my walkway and planted million bells and mini wave petunias in them, they look great!  And, of course I planted a few hyacinths at the front edge, as well as some Supertunias (it's a hybrid petunia).  I will be sure to take some pictures when everything starts blooming.

And, then we had a few things to do in the house.  I have been on the hunt for a rug for my dining room.  I have been looking, but not really looking.  I couldn't find anything that I liked much less loved, and rugs are an investment, so you can't just buy something that will "work" you want something you love, so you don't get stuck searching again in just a few years.  So, off we went to find a rug for the dining room.  When we moved in the house, I bought a red jute rug from Pottery Barn that I LOVED for the living room.  But, that jute sheds like crazy.  It gets all over everything.  And, with a baby a few months shy of crawling, Bryan really wanted something nicer with less shedding.  So, I agreed we could look for one for the living room too.  I was a little sad because I enjoyed that rug so much, but figured hey, maybe I can find something I like better.  And, boy did I??  We went to Capel Rugs, and I took a pillow sham from the Living Room with me.  Bryan gave me my "if we are out of here for under $$" quote, and I started looking, well would you believe we found two wool hand knotted rugs and two non-slip pads for under them??  We did, and it took us less than 20 minutes in and out and I was $75 under budget!  Yay me!  And, I LOVE them both, and they look great in the house.  Our house feels so much more homey. But, as we were sitting in the living room later that night, Bryan said "I think we are old, because we just got way too excited about some rugs".  Oh well......I guess I am old. 

No comments: