Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sundays in Arlington



I love the sleepy little town we live in.  No one gets in a hurry, and everyone stops to talk to you.  It is part of what really drew me to this area to live.  When we first looked at our neighborhood (Villages at White Oak) I fell in love with the small town charm.  Families out walking together, little girls playing hopscotch, and boys riding bikes.  I actually wondered briefly if the neighborhood paid those kids to do those things the days we were out looking.  But, I have since learned that this is the total norm here, and I LOVE it.  We looked in a few more neighborhoods, and I just kept saying to Bryan, that first neighborhood we looked at building in, was perfect.  Bryan is a short 15 minute drive away from his work, and he doesn't have to battle the I-40 traffic.  We are close enough to Memphis (but lucky for me, plenty far away too).  And, in the afternoons when I walk with Martin I always talk to at least one person I haven't before.  Everyone is so friendly.  This town is a great place for my family to call home, and I love being reaffirmed of our decision daily.  This past Sunday during church the announcement guy at the end told everyone Faith would be at the Veteran's Day Service in downtown Arlington giving away popcorn and bottled water, and that he hoped to see everyone out there.  So, The Benton Family decided to go.  It was a very nice and moving service and one more reminder that we chose such a great place to call home!  The service made me thankful for all of the Veteran's in my family.  Especially My Daddy!  I can't wait for Martin to grow up and hear some of his very moving stories.  Hope everyone has a great Veteran's Day.  It will be 11/11/11 and that makes it extra special.  Be sure you thank a vet this week.


Martin listening to the Guest Speaker
The guest speaker was a wounded vet who was in Afghanistan and had both of his legs blown off in a convoy and now has two prosthetic legs.  It was so moving to see the emotions in the crowd from seeing this young (23ish) man with two metal legs.  Such a moving speaker before he even opened his mouth.  Wish I had a picture, but we were in the back.

Cool old Chevrolet
Loved this cool old car--especially the flag on the front.  It kind of reminded me of Bryan's dad's old car.  But, this was a Chevy, and his dad's is a Plymouth if I am not mistaken.

Motorcycles for each Branch of Service

They circled around at the beginning of the program, and Martin didn't really know what to think about all the noise.  He sat up in the stroller to see what was going on.

A Marine's View
It was so nice to see so much of our town out to celebrate Veteran's Day.  I couldn't really tell, but I bet there were over 500 people there.  Isn't that a beautiful picture???

United States Marine Corps


The few, the proud, The Marines!
At the end of the service, they recognized each branch of the military by having the Middle School Band play the songs.  It was very cool to see all of the veteran's in the crowd.  I of course recognized the Marine Corps song right off (Dad, aren't you proud).  From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli.......We are proud to claim the title, of United States Marine.

Martin was so tired by the end!


No comments: