Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What I have learned

In 8 and a half short months I have learned so much about myself and about parenthood.  I have learned so much on this journey that is just beginning.  And, I know I will learn so much more!  So much that I have learned I could never have read in a book.  Life lessons are best when learned.

What I have learned:
1. You can do IT!  Whatever IT may be, you can do it if you really want to.
2. Being a stay at home mom isn't as easy as you would have ever suspected.  It is hard work being a Mommy.
3. My house doesn't stay clean, and I don't cook supper every night (poor Bryan right?)
4. Martin is going to smile at me and love me even if my hair isn't perfectly straightened or if I have puffs smashed on my shoulder from someone's snack.  
5. I smell like Maple Syrup from taking Fenugreek to stimulate my milk.  But hey, who doesn't like Maple Syrup??
6. Making baby food is easy (and actually fun, who knew?).  Oh, and the Beaba company doesn't want you to know how easy it is to make baby food with what you already have in your kitchen (blender).  Instead, they want you to buy their special TINY (holds a really small amount of food) baby food processor for a small fortune.  
7. Breastfeeding is such a challenge, but oh so worth it.  If you have support, it will get better!!!
8. I can be domestic when I want to (ie-making my own baby food, baking homemade bread).  But, please don't tell my husband that I actually do know how to iron men's clothing.  
9. I will NEVER be as funny as the Moose on Nick Jr or Bryan.  Martin laughs so hard when he plays with Daddy that it just melts my heart.  I am so lucky to have such a great husband--and Martin is so lucky to have such a great dad!!
10. You will eventually catch up on your sleep....although you will still look tired and run ragged occasionally. And, people will say things to you in the grocery store like, "oh darling, you just look so tired"....which translates to....you look like hell, get ahold of yourself!
11. It doesn't have to be perfect.  Whatever it is.  I am still learning this daily.  I strive for perfection in so many aspects of my life.  Especially being a Mommy.  Who doesn't want to be the perfect Mom?  But, I am getting there, slowly but surely.  I think it is the control freak in me that has the issue of letting go.  And, remember that NO ONE has it all figured it out.  Even if they seem like it....something behind that brave face is freaking out!
12. Children are an absolute JOY!!!  Martin has blessed me more than I ever knew possible.  I hope that everyone who he meets along his way in life is just as blessed by him as I have been.


Lucky readers, two posts in two days!  Wow!

2 comments:

Paige said...

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!! Love this post!

Kara Paulk said...

So sweet Bec! I love it!